Monday 15 February 2016

A Love Poem to his Lady

Myles's journals and letters speak clearly of his love for his wife Teresa and the desire to be back at her side whilst he is away. In one letter from 1917 he chides himself for getting soppy after saying "Teresa dear I miss you very much this time and I cant help thinking about you and I long for a feel of your arms and a taste of your sweet lips." He is worried that someone beside her or the "censorman", who would have reviewed all correspondence from sailors on Admiralty commission at that time, would see the lines.  

In honour of the Valentine's Day just passed, here is a poem he penned from a rambler to his dearest wife...

--

Tuesday 19th May, 1914
S.S. Welbury Algiers, Algeria a.m.

Dear Teresa,

Arrived here 7 a.m. and I received your letter of the 16th May. I was very pleased to do so. You say that you have sent me more than four. I am sorry to have been worrying you in my letters about the strayed correspondences. I feel a bit of a beast after reading this letter of yours here. This is the second one I have got. Please forgive me. We are taking 250 tons of bunker coal. Will leave about noon. The address is M Toale S.S. Welbury c/o Herm, Daulsberg Esq, Ship’s Agent, Bremenhaven, Germany.

Hope you enjoyed your last social.

--

I need no verse of learned prose
My hopes, ambitions, to disclose
And tell of love more pure than gold.
I pen one word and all is told
Teresa

--

It took me a whole hour to compose the above yet it only faintly conveys the sentiment I feel.

Be good. I conclude with the best of love,

xxx Your loving husband, xxx
xxxx Myles xxxx
xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment